Thursday, September 4, 2008

1947

Every once in a while I want to shake you out of your complacency and surprise you with a change of pace.
 
The attached picture shows me as a nineteen-year-old pantry-boy, aboard the Danish Tramp Steamer M/S Grete Maersk, sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge. The date was 22 December 1947 and the bridge was just ten years old. I had signed on in Shanghai and was tremendously excited at seeing the United States for the first time. I had already learnt to empty the garbage-pail in the wind-direction. I had learnt to drink Akvavit. And I had learnt enough Danish to understand the Chief Steward's instructions. My diary (yes, diary) reminds me that Ballerina, Peg O'My Heart, and I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now were on the Hit Parade. We docked under the Bay Bridge at Pier 26. A Shanghai friend showed me around San Francisco, and we visited Chinatown, Coit Tower, Treasure Island and Playland at the Beach (which some of you will remember). Nostalgic? You betcha! Hard to believe? You betcha once more!
 

No comments: