Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Is the Grass Really Always Greener on the Other Side?

I've been coming to the ponds at McInnis Park in San Rafael almost every Monday for about three years. Twice, during that time, I spotted a buck with a large rack, on the island located in the middle of one of the ponds.
 
This morning, Dick C, and I saw a deer swimming toward the island. Excited, I took several pictures. Later, walking on the other side of the island, we again saw the deer, this time with two friends, foraging on dry land.
 
Once again I am puzzled by animal behavior. What makes the deer want to cross over the water? Did one of them decide to do it and the others followed?
 
I have heard of deer swimming from the Tiburon Peninsula, across Raccoon Strait, to Angel Island, but I never witnessed it. In fact, today was the first time I ever saw deer swimming.
 

No comments: