Friday, March 16, 2012

Narceous Americanus

A rainy morning. None of my little friends wanting to come out and play. Result - lethargy, threatening to turn into depression! Suddenly everything changed when I discovered a 2-1/2" Millipede on the wall of the staircase!
 
Scientist that I am, and, since there are only 1,400 species of millipedes in the U.S. to choose from, I immediately identified the visitor as a Narceous Americanus, only found in the Eastern Seaboard of the U.S.
 
After some intensive study I learned that these gals/guys will live 5 - 10 years, and that their eyesight is poor to non-existent.
 
Following a successful photo-session, and being a good Samaritan, I transferred my friend to a grassy area. A fond farewell was exchanged and we went our separate ways.
 

No comments: