Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Slug

I love birds and taking their pictures. Yet I don't think I qualify as a "birder". Which is great, since it gives me license to take pix of whatever I xxxx-well please.
 
Here, for instance, is a slug that I met at the Ponds this morning. A quick Starbucks visit, and then home and the Internet. This is what I found ~
 
Here are some nice slug words to know: On the slug, notice that where a snail's shell would be there's a long, leathery thickening almost as if the slug were wearing a cape. That's the mantle fold. Toward the back in the mantle fold you see a hole. Probably you can guess that that's the air hole. A more technical name for the air hole is pneumostome. The top pair of tentacles, the ones bearing the eye spots, are technically known as the cephalic tentacles. The lower power of tentacles are the oral tentacles.
 

No comments: