Friday, March 21, 2008

Arboretum

Today I visited the Stryberg Arboretum in Golden Gate Park. While I normally refuse to send you pictures of cultivated flowers, I am making an exception today. This South African flower was just too striking to pass up. The plaque read:
PROTEACEAE
LEUCOSPERMUM
CORDIFOLIUM
'VELDT FIRE'
I tried to do some Googling but got thoroughly confused, especially with 'Veldt Fire', which has something to do with the Boer War of 1900. So, unless you want to do your own research, let's leave it at "gorgeous flower"!
 

1 comment:

Ethan Bodle said...

I've seen a veldt fire bush before, but this one is really nice... and of course really well photographed, too. Maybe I'm crazy but I think the name is just because it looks like a veldt fire with its solid, frightening wall of flames licking upward. Beautiful, but you wouldn't want to be having a veldt picnic that day.