Sunday, June 15, 2008

Rabbi Yolles

 
Last Wednesday I was invited to the home of Eva and Alan Leveton to hear Chassidic Rabbi Hershel Yolles speak (to an audience of about fifteen). I have listened to him at the Levetons before, and each time was charmed by his soft voice and sweet words. This time his topic was THE TREE OF LIFE  and THE MENORAH. My picture shows the Rabbi clapping his hands in rhythm with a song he was singing. If I believed there was a God, I am convinced that he would look like Rabbi Hershel. The only downside is that the Rabbi is actually younger than I! Oy vey! For those of you in the know - Rabbi Yolles, who was on a visit from Boro Park, one of the fastest growing and most vibrant neighborhoods in Brooklyn, and the home of one of the world's largest Jewish communities, is a direct descendant of the Ba'al Shem Tov (the founder of the Chassidic movement).
 
I must profess that I am rather ignorant when it comes to religion, but love to listen to the words of spiritual women and men.
 

No comments: