Saturday, September 5, 2009

Hm!

I was taking pictures at the Sausalito Art Festival this morning and was struck by the work of Marc Sijan of Milwaukee. I have never seen sculptures as lifelike as Sijan's.
 
First, he works from live models, to produce a negative mold in plaster, and sculpts the interior with special tools and a magnifying glass to assure accurate detail. Then, he casts the figure in a polyester resin. To achieve realistic flesh tones, Sijan applies 25 coats of paint --- and adds varnish. Sijan uses oil paint in the final stages of the work. Google Marc Sijan if you want to see more of his work.
 
And yes, that is Sijan straightening the hair of his sculpture.
 
I will not share my opinion of Sijan's work, except to say that it is both amazing and a little disturbing! The young lady was so true to life that she reacted to me in exactly the same way all young women do.
 

No comments: