Friday, September 4, 2009

Sleeping Lady

Despite its size (11' x 17'), San Rafael's Dennis Patton's 1988 metal sculpture of a sleeping, reclining nude in the Bon Air Shopping Center, is easily overlooked, and that's why I call it to your attention. As to Patton, who also created the Sir Francis Drake sculpture, near the Ferry Landing - while not being the greatest sculptor that ever lived, his art does add something to the landscape. The Bon Air sculpture is named 'Tamalpais' and that's why I framed it against the mountain. And in case you didn't know, or forgot, Mount Tamalpais is also known as "The Sleeping Lady" and there's a legend attached to that name. 
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is gorgeous. I haven't been back to Marin (now in Portland, OR) for years but have searched for her image for some time now (I can't possibly describe her to folks). Story about the maiden here: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/21526, but thanks for posting her pic. I wouldn't have found her otherwise!

Anonymous said...

One day, my then gf, her 11 y/o daughter and I were driving down Sir Francis Drake and her daughter points to it and says "That's my Mom.".
I had often looked at that sculpture and thought it looked like her.

Anonymous said...

I was realy her, btw