Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sandhill Cranes

Sandhill Cranes were what I actually went to see in the Central San Joaquin Valley last Saturday but I got distracted by the wonderful Snow Geese! Today's picture shows a couple of male cranes doing a courtship "dance", trying to woo the young damsel who has demurely turned away during the spectacle. The elaborate "dance" displays have inspired artists and choreographers. During the dance birds sometimes pick items off the ground and toss them into the air. Note that the birds have a wingspan of from 6 to 7 feet. Sandhill Cranes are probably the world's oldest species of birds. The oldest fossil that has been found being 2-1/2 million years old!
 
Please forgive the poor quality of my picture, but we were never allowed to get close to the birds. The longest focal length of my camera is 250 mm. Hint - my birthday falls on June 1st.
 

No comments: