Friday, January 23, 2009

Shollenberger Park

This drizzly morning took Bob H. and me to Shollenberger Park in Petaluma. And this is where we saw an interesting, somewhat unusual, scene. First of all the adult Mute Swan, a first for me in Marin County. (Note: they are not mute). You can't tell males and females apart. It looks as if he/she is counting the considerably smaller Northern Shovelers (1 gal and 2 guys), while a Coot is swimming to the left of this scene. All this, while three Turkey Vultures, undisturbed by the goings-on, are feasting on some delicious carrion. Five centuries ago, Pieter Bruegel the Elder would have whipped out his brush and painted all this! I merely whipped out my camera and, holding it in one hand, took this picture, while trying to balance my umbrella with the other.
 

No comments: