Monday, April 20, 2009

Carp

Many of the birds at the Ponds have migrated north and there wasn't much to photograph this morning - I thought - when Bob T and I heard a major commotion as we approached the middle pond. And that's when we saw several large fish struggling along the rocky shore. I have no idea what they were doing. Some were pushing against each other, while others seemed to want to come ashore. Was this some kind of mating dance? I am pretty sure they were carp (first introduced to the U.S. from Germany in the 19th Century).
 
Where were these fish last week? And the weeks and months before? Last year I saw some skeletons of large fish on the trail. I figured they may have been dropped there by predatory River Otters, and then cleaned by Turkey Vultures.
 
Be that as it may, after taking 983 pictures I came up with the one I have attached. These guys/gals didn't hold still for a second to allow me to take  picture.
 

No comments: