Saturday, November 20, 2010

Mascot

Did  you know that the Banana Slug is the Mascot of the University of California at Santa Cruz? I didn't either.
 
Here's more wisdom ~ Slugs use two pairs of tentacles to sense their environment. The larger, upper pair, termed "eyestalks," are used to detect light or movement. The second, lower pair are used to detect chemicals. The tentacles can retract and extend themselves to avoid damage.
 
They are hermaphrodites, and I don't really kapish how reproduction takes place. Which is irrelevant, as long as the slugs know what to do. Banana slugs have the largest penis-to-body length ratio of any animal on Earth.
 
Banana Slugs have a respiratory opening (see my picture) leading to their one lung. They are coated with mucus. I have touched a slug and then had a hard time getting rid of the slimy substance.
 
And now, armed with all this knowledge, take another look at my picture. Isn't shehe beautiful?
 

No comments: