Friday, April 22, 2011

Myositis

Bob, Dick, and I saw jillions of Forget-me-nots along the Bear Valley Trail last Tuesday. These were brought out by the unusually heavy rains we have been experiencing. A beautiful sight!
 
Some people call them non-native/invasive and a couple of years ago I actually encountered a kindergarten-teacher with her class, yanking out Forget-me-nots near the little Dipsea Trail bridge in Muir Woods. We had words and she got a little abusive. In my opinion we should welcome Forget-me nots to our woods.
 
Besides, I like their name because I'll probably always remember it.
 
And here's a bit of valuable information ~ the Forget-me-not is the State Flower of Alaska. Who'd a thought!
 

2 comments:

Ethan Bodle said...

Wow. Killing plants does seem like a pretty lame thing to engage school children in.

Ethan Bodle said...

Here is a webpage with an nice explanation of the difference between native and non-native Forget-Me-Nots...

http://curbstonevalley.com/blog/?p=1607