Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sam

There was only one Sam. Everyone in the San Francisco Bay Area running community knew who was meant when the name was mentioned.
 
My friend, Sam Hirabayashi, passed away peacefully last Friday, at the age of 84, the victim of complications related to cancer.
 
Sam's major claim to fame was running, and he still competed just a few months ago. Everyone always commented on how he ran like a high-school kid. Despite his age, he was forever looking for ways to improve his performance.
 
In truth, I cannot comprehend that Sam is gone. A year younger than Sam, I envied him for his athletic prowess and good health. I guess you just never know ............
 
I believe that Sam died without regrets. A few years ago, he married Eve Pell, a former Dipsea Race winner, and I know that these were some of the best years of his life.
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice tribute.