Saturday, June 4, 2011

Them were the Daze

Forgive me for blowing my own horn. But once in a while nostalgia grabs even stalwart moi. As was the case this morning as I stumbled across some old running pictures.
 
The attached picture shows me crossing the finish line at the Napa Valley Marathon, thirty (yes, that's 30) years ago, March 8th, 1981, to be exact. I was first over fifty (of 58) and 96th overall (of 902 finishers).
 
OK, I've got it out of my system, and won't bother you with this kind of drivel for the foreseeable future.
 
The term nostalgia describes a yearning for the past, often in idealized form. The word is a learned formation of a Greek compound, consisting of νόστος (nóstos), meaning "returning home", a Homeric word, and ἄλγος (álgos), meaning "pain, ache". It was described as a medical condition, a form of melancholy, in the Early Modern Period, and came to be an important topic in Romanticism.  So now you know!
 

No comments: