Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Buckeye

I have received literally hundreds (well, at least two or three) inquiries regarding an update on the Buckeye Tree. Here it is ~
 
The Buckeye Chronicle
A few weeks ago, Bob H. helped me (he did most of the work) transplant the tree to my backyard (not really mine) and place a wire-mesh enclosure around it. I must mention here that Bob lugged a large shovel, plus the fencing, over to my house on his bicycle, all the way over the Corte Madera Grade from Mill Valley! What a guy! A couple of days later I discovered to my horror that my deer friends (see Monday's lovely picture) had eaten all the leaves through the fencing, leaving only the stems. Nevertheless I emptied a bucket of water on the site and strengthened the fence. Lo and behold, a few days later new leaves were popping out at the top. Since then things have been going uphill, as the attached picture proves. Unfortunately it is not a great shot but you will appreciate the difficulties involved.
 
One more thing ~ when asked what I will do when the Buckeye has turned into a large tree, I said that I will sit on one of its branches and ponder. About next trying my luck with a Ponderosa Pine. If you don't think that's hilarious I'd like to drop you off my mailing list.
 

No comments: