Thursday, March 25, 2010

Pot of Gold?

Several months ago I didn't bring my camera to the Thursday morning walk along the Corte Madera Creek. I could have kicked myself when, for the first time, several River Otters appeared and pranced before us.
 
Again, today, I didn't bring my camera. And here was the most beautiful rainbow I have ever seen! Fortunately my trusty friend, Bob T, allowed me to use his camera. Thank you, Bob! We looked for a pot of gold but no luck!
 
The rare and lovely appearance of rainbows makes them incredibly magical for children and adults alike. Perhaps this magic first inspired the notion of a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Dating back to Old Europe, the legend of the pot of gold is claimed enthusiastically by the Irish. They'll tell you that fairies put the gold there and then the leprechauns guard it. I believe it.

No comments: