Friday, May 14, 2010

Cinco de Mayo

Here's a much-needed change of pace.
 
I have recently become something of a habitue of La Hacienda, a Mexican restaurant in Novato. A few days ago I received a phone call from its owner, Carmen, who asked me to hurry up, come over, and bring my camera. There was music. I hesitated for at least 14 seconds, then headed for Novato. This was at about 5:30 PM. The restaurant was crowded, and sure enough, there was a band. Two guitars and two fiddles. Los Trovadores, originally from Guanajuato, more recently from Austin, Texas. They serenaded table after table but told me they were not a mariachi but a something-or-other, which I did not comprende. I loved the music and took a bunch of pictures which I presented to Carmen today. I liked the looks of the fiddler on the attached picture, despite his dour expression, and decided to use it for my Daily E-Mail.
 
I had a great meal and a great time. As I was leaving, Carmen presented me with a yellow T-shirt bearing the words "Cinco de Mayo". It wasn't until I was on my way home that I realized that it was the fifth of May, and that I had just participated in a Cinco de Mayo celebration. Duh! Another senior moment!
 

No comments: