Sunday, May 16, 2010

Something to crow about

Nobody pays much attention to Crows, unless, perhaps, being annoyed by their scratchy and loud croaking. In fact, they are fascinating birds. To wit,  yesterday, when peering out my (now famous) kitchen window, I observed a crow gathering dry grass in its bill, and then taking off with it. I had never seen this behavior before and had never given Crow's nests any thought.
 
A Google-search revealed that the American Crow is secretive around its nest. While noise is a mainstay of its behavior in other areas, the nesting site is quiet. Sometimes difficult to find, the nest is placed 18 to 60 feet above ground in a tree near the trunk. Made of twigs, sticks, lined with bark, grass and moss. The nest is about 12 inches in diameter.
 
Another lesson learned!
 
My friends Elli and Jean, in Vienna, kept three or four Jackdaws in a huge cage in their high-ceilinged atelier apartment. Jackdaws are similar to Crows.  Both species are very intelligent. Part of the day the birds were allowed free reign in the apartment, responding to their names when called. I'm sure that I will hear from Elli, who is one of my Daily E-mail recipients.
 

No comments: