Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Times They Are A-Changin'

My parents and I escaped to Shanghai (from Vienna) in late 1938. I just ran across some letters my grandmother (who later joined us) wrote to me. The letters were written on extra thin "airmail-paper", to save on postage. Letters took a couple of months to reach us, and had been opened by Nazi censors.
 
Last night I skyped with my friend Clover, who is back in Beijing, after living in Marin for a while. I took a picture of my computer-screen, and you can see me at the bottom of the picture. The connection was poor and the picture I took is not great.
 
The point of this discourse is to reflect on the changes in communication that have taken place in my lifetime. Perhaps we'll be able to touch (eeek!) electronically one day. Bob Dylan's song-title came to mind. Change seems to happen at an ever faster rate.
 

No comments: