Friday, August 14, 2009

Beetle

Here's another find from my Bolinas Lagoon trip. I'm almost certain it's a Spotted Cucumber Beetle. I discovered that this critter (Diabrotica undecimpunctata) is a major agricultural pest insect which eats and damages leaves of many crops, including cucumbers, soybeans, cotton, beans and many others. I may have my information all screwed up, but it's not supposed to be found in California. Good citizen (a.k.a. busybody) that I am, I called the California Department of Food and Agriculture to alert them of my discovery. The away-message on their answering machine informed me that, due to Governator Schwarzenegger's economy measures, the Department was furloughed every other Friday!!!!! I wound up leaving a message. I pray that my gal/guy won't do too much damage by the time my message reaches its destination!
 
And now admire my photograph!
 

No comments: