Thursday, August 20, 2009

Deer

I'm sick and tired of all those schmaltzy YouTubes of a cat and a white mouse, or a duck and a dog, living together in perfect harmony. Species are species and remain species. And I'm also sick of YouTubes ascribing human behavior to animals.
 
It is in this spirit that I present my picture of a couple of deer (I believe they are does). They were not kissing. Deer don't kiss. What they were doing was grooming each other, especially around the face, neck and shoulders. Grooming helps to maintain bonds. And as they groom, deer also remove external parasites from each other.
 
All this took place, once again, right across from my trusty kitchen-window. The deer were very skinny. I'm afraid that the 350 goats-for-hire, which I welcomed with open camera a few weeks ago, didn't leave much food for the deer!
 

1 comment:

Emma Krasov said...

You are smth else, Hans! Of course animals are kissing and hugging, or as you put it, create bonds. My cat and I are the best example of love between species. Of course, we don't procreate, and it's a good thing, but we hug and kiss, and purr and dance together. Our love is pure and platonic, and enhanced by regular feeding hours. Get a cat and find true love. The deer are beautiful, don't feed them if you don't want fleas.