Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mt Tam from Skaggs Island

 
This morning Bob Hollingsworth and I ventured out into hitherto uncharted territory ~ Skaggs Island in Sonoma County. We climbed through a hole in the fence and went on a longish hike. Skaggs Island is a drained area of San Pablo Bay tidelands, formerly a Naval Communications base, decommissioned in 1993. We inspected some abandoned, vandalized buildings, scaring away three barn owls! We had an unusual view of the Highway 37 bridge spanning the Petaluma River, with Mount Tamalpais in the background, and this is what is shown on my picture.
 

1 comment:

tamwoods said...

Thank you for sharing your photos and travels. I came across your site while searching for information about Skaggs Island. I visited the island yesterday, but was unfortunate to come across and be questioned by law enforcement. They asked why I was there and checked by license and let me on my way. They seemed more concerned about my safety, because of the apparently crazy people who have vandalized the place. It's sad to know there are people who are so angry/violent that they needlessly wrecked a place where people served time helping to protect our country. Skaggs Island is an otherwise peaceful place, where spectacular birds are everywhere. tamwoods@comcast.net