Friday, May 9, 2008

Snakefly

Well, once again I got carried away by a tiny insect. I spied this tiny Snakefly (about 1/2") outside my apartment. It is also known as Neuroptera: Raphidiidae. The Snakefly is an active predator, feeding on small insects, such as aphids and caterpillars. For this reason it is considered beneficial. Snakeflies are one of only two groups of insects than can run backwards at full speed.

Now that you've read all this, have a good look at my picture. Isn't the Snakefly, with its transparent, intricately veined wings, and its long neck, really beautiful?

One of my aims in photography is to call attention to creatures and things people might not ordinarily notice or, worse yet, step on! 

1 comment:

Ethan Bodle said...

why does it want to run backwards so fast?