Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Palace of the Legion of Honor

 
Here's a bit of a change of pace. It could also be called "A Day in the life of a certain Hans".
 
Being in the City this morning, I decided to drive to the Palace of the Legion of Honor to photograph some of the very early 20th Century bases of the "Winning of the West" lamp posts, designed by sculptor Arthur Putnam. I had seen these lamps there before and they can also be found on Market Street and by the Ferry Building. Shown are two of the bases.
 
At this point I discovered the California Poppies growing in front of the pillared wall surrounding the parking area and pond. That same wall also inspired me to take the shadow picture.
 
I decided to go into the museum and was surprised by the blown glass installation by Dale Chihuly. It is called "Sun" and measures 14' in diameter. I decided to juxtaposition it with Rodin's Thinker. There are two more Chihulies inside and I photographed a young lady taking a picture of one of them. These installations are there to announce the Chihuly show opening at the de Young (the Legion's sister- or brother-museum) on June 14th.
 
Another shadow-picture and a photo of and older lady taking a picture of a young lady. All in front of the Legion.
 
I'll be happy to furnish you more information on any of the above.
 

1 comment:

Ethan Bodle said...

Those are some hot chihullys.